I will examine the multi-sided effects of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade and Slavery:
1) on the descendants of the immediate victims who now comprise the African Diaspora;
2) on the African continent itself (reference to Walter Rodney’s “How Europe Underdeveloped Africa”);
3) and on the accelerated hyper material development of the European continent and the concomittant development of and maintenance of the ideology of racism. Look at the economi basis of racism.
I Will examine the contemporary resistance of Europe to providing real redress to the descendants of those they enslaved and colonized. Case study of role of the Western European and Other Group (WEO) in the process of deciding on, organizing for, holding of and aftermath to the 2001 UN World Conference Against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance.
(1) Establishment of a Commission in each European country directly involved in the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade, Slavery and Colonialism whose goal is to make an objective assessment of what happened and what benefits accrued to those countries in particular and to Europe in general. This will help establish a basis for determining the degree and type of collective compensation/restitution/reparations due the descendants of the victims of these Crimes Against Humanity. The Commission must have representative membership from the victims of these crimes.
(2) Each nation to declare that Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, Slavery and Colonialism were Crimes against Humanity.
(3) Establishment of an European Humanitarian Trust Fund into which monies and resources will be deposited (by both governments and corporations) to be distributed to those countries/nations/peoples due compensation. Form of the distribution to be worked out.
National meetings held in different parts of the countries to inform and educate the citizenry at the grass-roots level on why it benefits them to support this initiative. How the development of the South, as well as of the “South in the North” sets basis for a just, equitable and peaceful society. It also comes at the inequitable distribution of wealth in European countries.