Report of Arab-European Collaboration Meeting
EPA Istanbul 23-25 September 2005
>>> How to include the Arab voice into the European discussions about the region + global policies affecting the region, and develop the concept of a joint struggle.
>>> We must create a space for dialogue.
>>> Many Arab organizations feel that the European vision does not reflect their reality and needs.
>>> Arab participation is further limited by difficulties in obtaining visas and financing.
Points which we agreed on:
* Create a network of collaboration against the global project of the US + European powers in the Arab region.
* Make a link between Iraq and Palestine within the regional and global context.
* Support the struggle of the political prisoners against detention, isolation and torture.
* Recognition of the right to resist and rejection of the term “terrorism”.
This does not deny the right to form individual opinions about specific organizations and/or tactics.
* Rejection of repressive laws related to “security” issues.
* The European left must not limit itself to protest against the US/Globalist agenda;
It must also support the struggles in the Arab region against the dictatorships in the various countries.
* Remain in contact by e-mail and try to organize another meeting before the next ESF in order to discuss possible seminars.
Visas and Financing:
* Visa applications could be supported by the ESF. The application process should begin far in advance.
* Possibilities for overcoming financial obstacles:
Organizations who have access to support by European organizations should try to seek sponsoring.
The ESF could set up a special fund and post a request on the website for donations.
The SF in each country could also set up an ‘alternative fund’.
Aside from the solidarity fund, the ESF could offer further support in the form of accommodation and a possible budget for food.
All organizations sympathetic to this initiative could search in their own countries for possible funders for tickets.