Strengthen our networks to get organised - sign up sheets, visit websites, sign up to some listserves, and then move to action, in your community first.
Overall, develop better policy initiatives to offer as alternatives to corporate control.
- Prevent entry into GATS and the EU directives. We should make water an issue in the context of the upcoming EU elections.
Especially in France, develop the pressure to help municipalities reverse privatisation. Elements include definition of public service mandate, of public participation, of redefining the contract type and length, with escape clauses, clarification of responsibilities (denounce the use of the term partnership). Examine tariff policies. Examine the public-public partnerships (PUPs) of municipalities, to get the mandate from the people in both countries.
- Examine the International Standards Organisation (ISO) process. Examine the EC centime solidarity fund proposals (a centime per cubic meter of water additional charge to every water bill in the EU), which may not be the best mechanism for generating additional funds for water.
- Campaign priorities include eliminate the debt, develop a Tobin tax,
- pressure to increase official development assistance (ODA).
- Develop a better gender analysis and advocate a human rights approach to campaign issues.
- Develop campaign demands around the concrete needs of women’s daily lives.