Report of network meeting on Palestine at ESF Preparatory Assembly in Istanbul, 23 September 2005
* The importance of Palestine being in the axes of the next ESF
* If there are plenaries/high visibility meetings organised by the ESF, one should be on Palestine.
* Seminar proposals were discussed: settlements and the Wall; political prisoners; Jerusalem; the right of return for refugees; Gaza; European movements and Palestine.
* Simply engaging in discussion at the ESF is not sufficient – we need action and results.
The need for practical solidarity with Palestine –
* mobilising for the 3rd Palestinian and International week of action against the Apartheid Wall 9-16 November (more details www.stopthewall.org)
* the importance of campaigning for sanctions and other actions against Israel.
* civil missions to Palestine (there was discussion on whether this should be a separate seminar or whether to integrate this through other seminars)
The forthcoming European Coordinating Committee on Palestine (ECCP) meeting on 8 October in Brussels was raised and people were encouraged to attend.
On attendance at the next ESF, people raised the importance of a significant presence of delegates from Palestine. At the last ESF, many of the Palestinians who attended the London ESF were paid for by the solidarity fund, and this was very important for the discussion at the ESF on Palestine. The network emphasised that at the next ESF there should be a solidarity fund and that this should be used to enable Palestinians to attend.